© S M Jones. Content is free for most uses - see legal stuff. Last update: 24 Jan 2020
Fourth Generation (continued)
11. George Thomas MONK [Parents]. Born about 1859 in Portsmouth, George died 1932 in Portsmouth, age 73. Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Mess Servant (1881); Messenger in Dynamo Works (1891); Gatekeeper (1901); Messenger (1911).
In 1882, when George was age 23, he married Emily JERMYN in Lambeth. Emily was born about 1860 in Charlton. It’s not known when she died.
They had the following children, all born in Greenwich:
(1) Emily Edith, born 1882. Emily had a daughter Edith Emily MONK, who was born 1899, also in Greenwich. (2) Hannah Sophia, born 1884. (3) Alice Maud, born 1891.
12. Matthew MONK [Parents]. Born about 1862 in Westminster, Matthew drowned in the River Thames 21/4/1921, age about 58. Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Clerk to Cement Merchant (1881); Manager of Lime and Cement Works (1891); Wharf Manager (1901); Book-keeper (1911 and 1917).
An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “MONK Matthew of 22 Crescent Lane Clapham Surrey found drowned 21 April 1921 in the river Thames near Vauxhall Bridge Probate London 12 May to Mary Jane Monk widow. Effects £178 5s.” (The equivalent of around £7,565 today.)
On 3/9/1887, when Matthew was age about 25, he married Mary Jane THOMAS, daughter of James THOMAS, a Boot and Shoe Maker, in St Mary’s Parish Church, Battersea. Mary Jane was born 5/3/1864 in Westminster. It’s not known when she died.
They had the following children:
(1) Grace Emily, born 22/10/1889 in Battersea and died in 1971 in Waltham Forest, age 81. On 25/12/1914, when Lilian Mary was age 25, she married Thomas George GUMMER (1888-?), a jewel case maker, in All Souls Church, Newington. (2) Lilian Mary, born 25/2/1892 in Leytonstone and died in April 1994 in Worthing, age 102. On 10/10/1917, when Lilian Mary was age 25, she married Oliver George KNIGHT (abt. 1891-?), a merchant seaman, in St James’ Church, Clapham.
13. Alfred MONK [Parents]. Born 9/1/1862 in Lower Halling and baptized 23/2/1862, Alfred died in August 1946 in Maidstone, age 84. He was buried 21/8/1946 in St John the Baptist, Halling. Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Railway brakeman (1881); Cement labourer (1891 and 1901); Barge loading labourer (1911).
They had the following children, all born in Halling:
(1) Ethel Clara, born August 1883 and died October 1883, age 2 months. She Clara was buried 2/11/1883 in St John the Baptist, Halling. (2) Alice Maud, born 1884. It’s not known when she died. On 29/1/1908, when Alice was age 23, she married John Joseph HAMMOND (1881-?) in St John the Baptist, Halling. (3) Alfred James . (4) Clara Hester, born 28/9/1889. (5) Helen Agnes, born 1891. It’s not known when she died. On 21/6/1922, when Helen was age 30, she married Alexander NICOL (1882-?) at St John the Baptist, Halling. (6) Harry Arthur, born about 1894 and died April 1910, age 16. He was buried 16/4/1910 in St John the Baptist, Halling. (7) Mabel Elaine, born 1896. (8) Albert Frank, born 9/9/1898 and died 1982 in Slough, age 84. In 1934, when Albert was age 26, he married Mary EVANS (1898-?) in Windsor. (9) Dora Ruth, born 1900 and died 1966 in Maidstone, age 65. Dora never married. (10) Cora Grace, born 21/4/1903 and died 1983 in Maidstone, age 80. On 17/6/1925, when Cora Grace was age 22, she married Leonard Waldo FEATHERSTONE (1900-1964), son of James David FEATHERSTONE, a Greengrocer, in Christ Church, Lower Birling.
The Monk family circa 1912. On the far right hand side, two boys can be seen at the window, watching the photo shoot. They may be Jesse and Ernest Hart who appear in the 1911 census (age 9 and 3 respectively) living next to the Monk family with their parents Jesse and Amy, and 3 older sisters. Tap/click image to enlarge.