© S M Jones. Content is free for most uses - see legal stuff. Last update: 24 Jan 2020
6. Ellen Ann BEADLE [Parents]. Born about 1849 in Halling, it is not known when Ellen died.
Ellen Ann had the following child:
(1) Frederick Clement .
Frederick’s father is unknown but given his middle name it could well have been Ellen’s future husband, Clement BIRCH whom she married in 1878, when she was age 29, in Bury, Lancashire. Clement was born 10/12/1838 in Bury and died 14/5/1922 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, age 83.
An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “BIRCH Clement of Hillview St. Philips Avenue Maidstone died 14 May 1922 at 515 Jubilee Avenue Winnipeg Manitoba Canada Probate London 9 December to Jonathan Birch builder. Effects £687.” (The equivalent of around £32,000 today.)
Clement and Ellen had the following children:
(1) Annie Eliza, born 1879 in Bury. (2) Jonathan, born about 1881 in Maidstone. (3) Daisy Ellen, born 1883 in Maidstone. (4) Edward, born about 1885 in Maidstone. (5) Clement Arthur, born about 1888 in Maidstone.
There are references in the passenger records to Ellen travelling between Canada and England after Clement’s death. On 14/4/1924 she left Southampton bound for Montreal on board the Minnedosa, arriving 28/4/1923. On 25/7/1928 she arrived in Southampton from Quebec on board the Empress of Scotland. And on 29/6/1929 she arrived in Montreal from Southampton on board the Ascania.
7. Edward William BEADLE [Parents]. Born 1850 in Halling, Edward William died 1936 in Strood, age 85. Occupation: Sail maker.
In 1874, when Edward William was age about 24, he married Frances Rebecca PETERS in Gravesend. Frances Rebecca was born about 1846 in Snodland. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children all born Snodland:
(1) Edward Thomas Peters, born 22/10/1878 and baptized 8/1/1879 in All Saints Church, Snodland. Edward died 2/3/1960 in Chatham, age 81. An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “BEADLE Edward Thomas Peters of 21 King Arthurs Drive Strood Rochester died 2 March 1960 at 39 Watts Avenue Rochester Probate London 4 May to Minnie Maria Beadle widow. Effects £3737 9s. 3d. (Worth around £83,000 today.) On 7/2/1923, when Edward was age 44, he married Minnie Maria BRIDGES (1881-1967) in St Nicholas of Myra Church, Strood. There’s no evidence they had any children. (2) Francis Richard Parker . (3) Joseph Abel B, born 1882. (4) Sarah Eliza P, born 1886.
8. Henry Thomas BEADLE [Parents]. Born 1852 in Halling, Henry Thomas died 29/10/1914 at London Road, West Malling, age 62. An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “BEADLE Henry Thomas of Alma Villa Holborough Road Snodland Kent died 28 October 1914 at London Road West Malling Kent Administration London 10 April to Catherine Beadle widow. Effects £155 17s 7d.” (The equivalent of around £17,000 today.) Occupation: Variously Engine driver; Insurance agent.
In 1873, when Henry Thomas was age about 21, he married Ann CHITTENDEN in Malling. Ann was born about 1853 and died probably in late July 1878, age 25, in Malling. She was buried 3/8/1878 in All Saints Church, Snodland.
They had the following children, both born Snodland:
(1) Ann, born about 1877. (2) Eva Jane, born about 1878. Eva Jane died in April 1879, age 1, and was buried 24/4/1879 in All Saints Church, Snodland.
On 26/10/ 1879, when Henry Thomas was age about 27, he married Catherine JOYCE in the Parish Church, Snodland. Catherine was born about 1856 in Southwark, London. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children, all born Snodland:
(1) Henry Thomas, born 1880. (2) Kate Adeline, born 1883. (3) Percy Allen, born 1889. (4) Florence May, born 1890. (5) Gladys Maud, born 1892. (6) Dorothy Emma, born 1896.