© S M Jones. Content is free for most uses - see legal stuff. Last update: 24 Jan 2020
21. William Henry ROOTS [Parents]. Born 1874 in Meopham, William Henry died 1937 in Medway, age 63. Occupation: Farm labourer.
In 1897, when William Henry was age about 23, he married Mary Elizabeth GOODWIN in Strood. Mary Elizabeth was born about 1878 in Luddesdown. It’s not known when she died.
They had the following children, both born Meopham:
(1) Eleanor Elizabeth, born 1898. (2) Robert John M, born 1900. (3) William, born 1906.
22. William ROOTS [Parents]. Born about 1870 in Luddesdown, it is not known when William died. Occupation: Ag. Labourer
About 1891, when William age about 21, he married Elizabeth Emma GILBERT. Elizabeth Emma was born about 1875 in Puddletown, Dorset. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children:
(1) Amelia Marion, born about 1892 in Trottiscliffe. (2) Daisy Lilian, born 1894 in Luddesdown. (3) William George, born 1896 in Meopham. (4) Herbert Reginald, born about 1898 in Meopham. (5) Cicely Muriel, born 1899 in Meopham. (6) Edith Emma, born 1901 in Meopham. (7) John, born about 1903 in Meopham.
23. Frank Herbert ROOTS [Parents]. Born 3/9/1884 in Halling and baptized 26/10/1884 in Maidstone, Frank Herbert died there 21/3/1953, age 68. Occupation: Horse driver groom (1901); Stoker Petty Officer (1911); Builder’s labourer (1939). Frank Herbert served in the Royal Navy between 11/11/1902 and 17/7/1918 when his military record shows he was invalided out. No further details were given.
An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “ROOTS Frank Herbert of 129 Foster Clark Estate Maidstone died 21 March 1953 Administration London 22 May to Ellen Roots widow. Effects £376 8s. 6d.” (Worth around £10,300 today.)
In 1905, when Frank Herbert was age 21, he married Ellen SNASHFOLD (1883-1970), daughter of George SNASHFORD and Esther CHESSON, in Maidstone.
They had the following children, all born/baptized in Maidstone:
(1) Frank Charles George, born 13/1/1907 and baptized in St Peter’s Church 4/4/1907. (2) Eileen Alice, born 7/3/1911 and died 3/8/1996, age 85. On 27/11/1937, when Eileen was age 26, she married Leslie PARRIS (1904-1984), son of Henry PARRIS and Ellen TOMKIN, in Maidstone Registry Office. (3) Sydney, born 1918. (4) Joan, born 1921. (5) Norman, born 1923. Gilbert, born 1925.
Fifth Generation (continued)