© S M Jones. Content is free for most uses - see legal stuff. Last update: 24 Jan 2020
6. William ROOTS [Parents]. Baptized 13/2/1820 in Meopham, William died 1883 in Meopham, age given as 60. Occupation: General Labourer; Woodman.
In 1846, when William was age 26, he married Maria JOHNSON, daughter of Jesse JOHNSON and Mary ALLCHIN. Baptized 24/9/1826 in Meopham, Maria died before 5/4/1891; she does not appear in the census of that date.
They had the following children:
7. Edward ROOTS [Parents]. Baptized 3/9/1826 in Luddesdown, Edward died before 5/4/1891; he does not appear in the census of that date. Occupation: Cement Labourer.
In 1846, when Edward was age about 19, he married Sarah LOFT. Sarah was born about 1827 in Halling. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children:
(1) Alfred Sidney, born about 1847 in Wrotham and died 1872, age about 24. (2) Ann, born about 1848 in Wrotham. Ann married Henry WILDER. They had two known children: Annetta, born about 1868 and Louise Clara born about 1870. (3) Clara, born about 1850 in Wrotham. (4) William Henry . (5) Louisa, born about 1856 in Meopham. (6) Edgar Arthur .
8. Thomas ROOTS [Parents]. Baptized 5/6/1825 in Luddesdown, Thomas died 1902 in Strood, age 76. Occupation: Agricultural Labourer.
On 3/11/1872, when Thomas was age 47, he married his landlady, the widow Sarah WELLARD (nee FELLMAN). Sarah was born about 1817 in Meopham. She died between 5/4/1891 and 30/3/1901; Thomas is described as a widower in the 1901 census. They had no children.
9. Henry ROOTS [Parents]. Baptized 12/2/1843 in Luddesdown, Henry died 1903 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, age about 59. Occupation: Served in the Royal Navy; also a General Labourer.
Between 1881 and 1890 Henry married Janet TAYLOR. The marriage reference cannot be found in the records. Janet was born about 1844 in Berwick-Upon-Tweed and died 1911 in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, age about 66.
There is no evidence they had any children. However, they adopted:
(1) Henrietta JOBSON, born 1890 in Gateshead, Co Durham. It’s not known when she died.
Third Generation (continued)
10. James ROOTS [Parents]. Baptized 2/5/1841 in St Peter and St Paul Church, Luddesdown, it is not known when James died. The baptism entry in the parish register shows James' mother, Elizabeth Roots, as a single woman. No father is named.
On 7/10/1866, when James was age 25, he married Martha MONK, daughter of James MONK and Susan DREW, in St Nicholas Church, Strood. The marriage entry in the register gives James’s father as Thomas ROOTS. James appears, age 10, in the 1851 census in Luddesdown living in the household of Thomas and Ann COGGER, age 55 and 54 respectively. His relationship to the household head was described as ”illeg. son”. Although not conclusive, this evidence suggests Thomas Cogger was probably James' father.
No children for James and Martha have been traced.
11. William ROOTS [Parents]. Baptized Meopham 15/2/1836, William died 22/4/1885, age 49, in Halling as a result of an accident at a chalk pit. The cause of death was certified as “Crushed under a load of chalk - killed instantly. Accident. Certificate received from W. J. Harris, Coroner for the County of Kent. Inquest held 25 April 1885.” William was buried 26/4/1885 in Halling.
They had the following children, all born Halling:
(1) Mary Ann, born 6/12/1861 and died 23/1/1941 in the USA. In 1878, when Mary Ann was age 18, she married Richard Shoebridge HOMEWOOD, son of Maria HOMEWOOD. (2) Frank William . (3) John, born 1866 and died 12/4/1956 in Vancouver, British Columbia, age 90. (4) William James, born 18/8/1867 and died 1957 in Massachusetts, USA, age 89. (5) Harriet Elizabeth, born 1869 and died in USA. Occupation: Domestic Servant. (6) James Parris born 1869 and died in USA, date unknown. (7) Henry, born 1875 and died 1941, age 66. Buried 2/8/1941 in Halling. (8) Emma, born 1877 and died after 1941 in Massachusetts, USA. (9) Clara, born in 1879 and died after 1941 in Massachusetts, USA. In 1896, when Clara was age about 17, she married Horace John LUCHFORD (1876-1916) in Strood. (10) Naomi, born 1882 and died in in Massachusetts, USA. Occupation: Dressmaker. (11) Frederic Alfred, born 3/8/1883 in Halling and died 28/2/1942 in Fitchburg, Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA. Frederic was buried in Forest Hill Cemetery, Fitchburg. On 7/11/1903, when Frederic was age 20, he married Mary LAWRENCE (abt. 1881-1943) in St John the Baptist, Halling. On 11/4/1911, Frederic sailed from Liverpool with his brother James on board the Zeeland bound for Boston, Massachusetts with Fitchburg as the final destination. On 1/7/1911, Mary sailed from Liverpool with their son Frederic Laurence (1906-1944) on board the Franconia, also bound for Boston and Fitchburg.