© S M Jones. Content is free for most uses - see legal stuff. Last update: 24 Jan 2020
This page traces the descendants of Henry Harris and Harriet Adelaide Lambert of Brenchley, Kent and the link by marriage to the Jones family. There are two more Harris families in our tree, from Bedford and Halling, Kent. As far as we know they are not connected. If you have a connection to any individual or family featured here, or if you want to leave us your feedback, contact us. Browse by following the numbered (e.g. ) or parental ([Parents]) links.
On 28/5/1855, when Henry was age 23, he married married Hannah LAMBERT in Brenchley. Born 28/8/1826 in Brenchley, Hannah died 1863 in Tunbridge, age about 37.
They had the following children:
(1) Elizabeth born about 1856. (2) Henry, born about 1860 in Brenchley. Occupation plumber, painter. In 1884, when Henry was age about 23, he married Jane Elizabeth JONES, daughter of Joseph JONES and Elizabeth WRIGHT, in Brenchley. Henry died 25/10/1928 in Lewisham Hospital, age about 68. An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “HARRIS Henry of 90 Springbank Road Lewisham Kent died 25 October 1928 at Lewisham Hospital Lewisham Administration London 16 March to Harriett Mould widow [Henry’s sister in law]. Effects £93.” (The equivalent of around £5,560 today.) Henry and Jane had no children. (3) Martha, born 1862 in Brenchley, Kent.
In 1867, when Henry was age about 35, he married Harriet Adelaide LAMBERT in Newington, London. Harriet was born about 1836 in Brenchley and is believed to be Hannah’s sister.
They had the following children, all baptized in Brenchley:
(1) Herbert . (2) Kate, baptized 5/9/1870. (3) William Archibald, born 1871 and baptized 15/8/1872. William died in 1892, age about 20, also in Brenchley. (4) Jarvis Lambert . (5) Gertrude, born about 1877. (6) Adelaide, born about 1879.
2. Herbert HARRIS [Parents]. Born about 1868 in Brenchley and baptized there 11/4/1868. It is not known when Herbert died. Occupation: House decorator.
In 1899, when Herbert was age 31, he married Clara Jane WHITE, daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth WHITE, in Tunbridge. Born 1867 in Brenchley, it’s not known when Clara died. Clara's brother, Archibald Albert White (1871–1920), was a professional cricketer and Test match cricket umpire. He umpired 8 Test matches in all, from his first - the England v South Africa match at Johannesburg in February 1899 to his final outing in the England v South Africa test at the Oval in 1912.
They had the following child:
(1) Herbert Leslie, born about August 1900 in Westminster, London and baptized 26/12/1900 in Brenchley.
3. Jarvis Lambert HARRIS [Parents]. Born 8/2/1873 in Brenchley and baptized there 30/3/1873, Jarvis died 11/3/1941 in Halling, age 68. Occupation: Grocer’s Assistant.
An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “HARRIS Jarvis Lambert of Chepstow North Halling Kent died 11 March 1941 Probate Llandudno 28 August to Rowland Lambert Harris grocer. Effects £931 6s.” (The equivalent of around £49,529 today.)
In 1903, when Jarvis was age 30, he married Jessie Laura TURTLE in Godstone, Surrey. Jessie Laura was born about 1872 in Brixton and died in 1932 in Halling, age about 60.
They had the following children:
1) Rowland Lambert, born 4/6/1908 in Limpsfield, Surrey and baptized 26/7/1908 in St Peter, Limpsfield. In 1931, when Rowland was age about 23, he married Violet E. WARD in Faversham, Kent. Rowland died October 1996, in Hillingdon, age 88. (2) Adelaide Lucy Ellen, born 4/3/1912 in Limpsfield and died March 2001 in Medway, age 89.