© S M Jones 2019. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
This is page 3 of 5 providing the history of the Howard family of Holmfith, Yorkshire. If you have a connection to any individual or family featured here, or if you want to leave us your feedback, contact us. Browse by clicking the last page/next page buttons or following the numbered (e.g. ) or parental ([Parents]) links.
9. Luke HOWARD [Parents]. Born 7/6/1853 in Holmfirth & baptized 30/10/1853 in Holy Trinity Church, Holmfirth, Luke died quarter ending March 1899, age about 45. Occupation: Woollen warper.
In the quarter ending December 1889, when Luke was age about 36, he married Alice BOTTOMLEY in Saddleworth. Alice was born about 1853 in Saddleworth & died there quarter ending September 1926, age about 73.
They had the following children, both born Saddleworth:
(1) James Thomas, born about 1891. (2) Elsie, born about 1893.
10. Vincent HOWARD [Parents]. Born 27/10/1856 in Holmfirth & baptized 12/4/1857 in St David, Holmbridge. Vincent died quarter ending December 1911 in Stockport, age 55. Occupation: Felt hatter.
In the quarter ending June 1883, when Vincent was age about 27, he married Sarah Jane BRIERLEY who was born about 1857 in Delph.
They had the following children, both born Delph:
(1) Henrietta Maria, born quarter ending December 1884. It is not known when she died. In the quarter ending June 1923, when Henrietta was age 39, she married Francis C. WILLIAMS in Stockport. It is not known when Francis was born or died. (2) Adeline Brierley, born quarter ending June 1890 & died quarter ending June 1979 in Staincliffe, Lancashire, age 89. In the quarter ending September 1916, when Adeline was age 26, she married Leopold LOMAS (1889-1962) in Stockport. On 1/1/1963 in Wakefield, probate was granted to Adeline with effects valued at £325 (the equivalent of around £6,530 today).
11. Lister HOWARD [Parents]. Born 26/8/1857 in Holmfirth & baptized 27/12/1857 in St David, Holmbridge, Lister died quarter ending September 1933 in Stockport, Cheshire, age about 75. Occupation: Felt hatter.
In quarter ending June 1890, when Lister was age about 31, he married Mary Jane WRIGLEY. Born about 1863 in Delph, it is not known when Mary Jane died.
They had the following children, all born Stockport:
12. Harry HOWARD [Parents]. Born 29/3/1872 in Delph and baptized 5/5/1872 at St Chad, Saddleworth. Harry died 23/12/1922 in Manchester, age 50. Occupation: Boot and shoe maker. Thanks to Edward Howard for the pictures. Click to enlarge.
On 12/7/1909, when Harry was age 37, he married Ethel Hunter PEARSON in St John’s Parish Church, Old Trafford, Manchester. Ethel was born 2/8/1883 in Hulme, Manchester and was baptized 10/10/1883 in St Michael, Hulme. Ethel died 14/3/1955 in Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, age 71. Cause of death certified as Cardiac failure; Chronic bronchitis and emphysema; Asthma. An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “HOWARD Ethel Hunter of 43 Hollybush Road Kingston-upon-Thames widow died 14 March 1955 Probate London 7 May to Norman Howard general store keeper and Olive Ethel Howard spinster. Effects £2325 7s. 10d.” (Worth around £60,682 today.)
They had the following children:
(1) Norman, born 26/6/1910 in Manchester and died 16/6/1955 in Salford, age 44. (2) Olive Ethel, born 5/2/1912 in Manchester and died 13/10/1907 in Bridport, Dorset, age 75.
Thinking of discovering more about your family’s past? We can help. Click to visit our sister site Wharfedale Research for a range of family history research services and to find out about a free initial consultation
|Legal stuff and Cookies|