© S M Jones 2019. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
This is page 13 of 19 tracing the history of the Chapple family of Devon. If you have a connection to any individual or family featured here, or if you want to leave us your feedback, contact us. Browse by clicking the last page/next page buttons or following the numbered e.g.  or parental [Parents] links.
69. Garth CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born quarter ending December 1854 in St Thomas, Devon, and baptized 21/12/1865 at St James, Exeter. Garth died 17/2/1926 in Southsea, age 71. Occupation: School master.
An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “CHAPPLE Garth of 86 Manners Road Southsea Hampshire died 17 February 1926 at 2 Merton Road Southsea Probate Winchester 15 April to Emma Green (wife of Philip Green). Effects £432 15s. 3d.” (The equivalent of about £25,027 today.)
In the quarter ending December 1877, when Garth was age about 33, he married Emily Elizabeth Serjeant CROSS in Portsea, Hampshire. Born quarter ending March 1859 in Weymouth, Dorset, Emily died 21/11/1922 in Ottery St Mary, age 63.
An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “CHAPPLE Emily Elizabeth Serjeant of 18 Paternoster Row Ottery St Mary Devonshire (wife of Garth Chapple) died 21 November 1922 Probate Exeter 27 December to the said Garth Chapple retired schoolmaster. Effects £351 4s 9d.” (The equivalent of about £16,321 today.)
The 1911 census, taken when Garth & Emily were age 56 & 52 respectively, confirms they had no children.
70. Robert CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born in 1818 in Axminster and baptized there 3/1/1819. Robert died quarter ending June 1861 in Leeds, age about 42.
In the quarter ending June 1851, when Robert was age about 32, he married Elizabeth TOMPSON in Exeter. Born 19/4/1821 in Exeter, Elizabeth died 12/3/1893 in Leeds, age 71.
They had the following children:
(1) Mary Jane, born quarter ending June 1851 in Exeter. (2) Robert John . (3) Anna Bessie, born 9/8/1856 in Exeter. It is not known when she died. On 1/8/1887, when Anna Bessie was age 30, she married William Henry BROWN, son of James BROWN (deceased) at All Saints Parish Church, Leeds. William was born about 1862 in Manchester. It is not known when he died.
Eleventh Generation (continued)
71. Henry John CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born 1860 in Axminster and baptized 3/2/1861 in Membury. Henry John died 5/8/1917 in Wyke Farm, Axminster, age 57. Occupation: Farmer.
An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads “CHAPPLE Henry John of Wyke Farm Axminster Devonshire farmer died 5 August 1917 Administration Exeter 31 October to Lydia Johannah [sic] Chapple widow. Effects £944 14s. 6d.” (The equivalent of around £77,962 today.)
On 24/6/1886 when Henry John was age about 25, he married Lydia Joanna CRIDGE, daughter of George CRIDGE, a Farmer, in Membury. Born 1860 in Taunton, Lydia died 1940, age 80.
They had the following children, all born/baptized in Membury:
(1) Elsie Alberta, born 11/5/1887 and baptized 20/6/1887. In 1908, when Elsie was age about 20, she married Henry George AYRES (1886-?). (2) Ida Mary, born 5/2/1889 and baptized 20/3/1889. Ida died 1/1/1970 in Ashford, Kent, age 80. On 18/4/1911, when Ida was age 22, she married William Charles JENKINS (1883-1950) in Axminster. (3) Mabel May, born 28/5/1890 and baptized 29/6/1890. Mabel May died in 1964, age about 73. In 1917, when Mabel was age about 26, she married Ernest William MILLER (1886-1962) in Axminster. (4) Lillian Beatrice, born 24/10/1891. In 1923, when Lillian was age about 32, she married Edwin Elias WHITE. (5) Flossie Mellitta, born 12/11/1893 and baptized 17/12/1893. Flossie died 1894, age about 1. (6) Minnie Augusta, born 1895. In 1920, when Minnie was age about 25, she married Henry BAGWELL (abt. 1896-?), son of Henry Frank BAGWELL and Mary Jane Critchell, in Axminster. Minnie died later that year in Beaminster. (7) Andrew George Cridge, born 30/7/1897 and died 12/4/1963 in the City Hospital, Exeter, age 65. An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “CHAPPLE Andrew George Cridge of Woodhayes Farm Dalwood Axminster Devon died 12 April 1963 at City Hospital Exeter Administration Exeter 13 August to Laura Mildred Chapple widow. Effects £5335 13s. 3d.” (Worth around £108,321 today.) In 1923, when Andrew George Cridge was age 25, he married Laura Mildred BAGWELL (1893-1976), daughter of Henry Frank BAGWELL and Mary Jane Critchell, in Beaminster, Dorset. An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “CHAPPLE Laura Mildred of Woodhayes Farm Dalwood Axminster Devon died 4 July 1976 Probate Bristol 18 August £73,188.” (Worth around £585,000 today.) (8) Cecil Harry Cridge . (9) Freda Lydia, born 1902. In 1923, when Freda was age about 21, she married her late sister Minnie’s husband Henry BAGWELL in Axminster.
72. Thomas George CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born 1864 in Membury and baptized there 3/4/1864, Thomas George died 5/3/1941, also in Membury, age 77. Occupation: Stonemason.
In 19/10/1898, when Thomas George was 34, he married Laura Maria MOSS, daughter of Joseph MOSS, a Railway Labourer, in Dalwood Parish Church. Born 1870, Laura Maria died 12/4/1952 in Membury, age 82.
They had the following children, all born Membury:
(1) Frances Louisa Laura, born 1900 and baptized 6/1/1901. Frances Louisa Laura died 1915, age 14. (2) Jessie Annie, born 1904 and died 30/4/1955, age 51. (3) Albert George, born 1908 and baptized 26/7/1908. Albert George died 20/10/1944 near Geel, Belgium, age 36. He was buried in Geel War Cemetery, Antwerpen, Belgium. (4) Eva Laura Nicola, born 6/12/1911 and baptized 11/2/1912.
73. Robert William CHAPPLE [Parents]. Baptized 26/3/1869 in Membury. Robert died quarter ending June 1959 in Okehampton, age 90. Occupation: Butcher.
On 4/4/1893, when Robert William was age 24, he married Mary DARKE, daughter of William DARKE, in Membury Parish Church. Mary was born 1865 & died 1900 in Axminster, age 35.
They had the following children, both born Membury:
(1) William, baptized 1/2/1895 and died later that year. (2) Harry Darke, baptized 3/5/1896 in Membury. Harry was killed in action 27/3/1918, age 22, near the village of Pozieres, France during the final Battle of the Somme. He is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial.
On 16/6/1903, when Robert William was age 34, he married Susan Maude ATTWOOLL, daughter of John Angel ATTWOOLL, a Schoolmaster, in Membury Parish Church. Susan was born quarter ending June 1871 in Weymouth. It’s not known when she died.
They had the following children:
(1) Irene Maude, born 10/1/1906 in Dawlish and died in 1969 in Honiton, age about 62. In 1962, when Irene was age 56, she married Ernest William Cole LENTHALL (1912-1995) in Honiton. (2) George Attwooll, born 12/12/1911 in Newton Abbot, Devon and died 3/2/1951 in Hatherleigh, Devon, age 39. An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “Chapple George Attwooll of 26 High Street Hatherleigh, Devonshire died 3 February 1951 Administration Exeter 30 March to Elizabeth Doris Chapple widow. Effects £314 3s. 4d.” (Worth around £10,236 today.) In 1937, when George was age 25, he married Elizabeth Doris BLACKMORE (1907-1984) in Okehampton.
Thinking of discovering more about your family’s past? Click to visit our sister site Wharfedale Research for a range of family history research services and to find out about a free initial consultation.
|Legal stuff and Cookies|