© S M Jones 2018. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
This is page 1 of 4 tracing the history of the Tippins family. Originally from the Shoreditch and Hackney areas of London, it shows the branches that moved to Chorlton-upon-Medlock, Lancashire and Sleaford, Lincolnshire as well as the link by marriage to the Chapple family If you have a connection to any individual or family featured here, or if you want to leave us your feedback, contact us. Browse the Tippins pages by clicking the forward/back arrows or following the numbered e.g.  or parental [Parents] links.
1. William TIPPINS. Born about 1775 probably in London, William died in April 1845 in Shoreditch. He was buried 11/4/1845 in St Luke, Finsbury, Islington. His age in the burial register was given as 69 and abode as “workhouse”. The death registration and burial were both recorded the surname “Tipping”.
On 25/12/1793, when William was age about 18, he married married Mary Ann CORDELL in Old Church, St Pancras, London. Mary Ann was born about 1773 in Shoreditch, London. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children, all baptized at Saint Leonards, Shoreditch:
(1) Eleanor Sophia, baptized 11/9/1800. (2) Catharine, born 29/12/1803 at Tyson Place, Shoreditch and baptized 22/1/1804. (3) Eleanor Miriam, baptized 12/6/1806. (4) William Jonathan . (5) Joseph James, born 5/3/1811, baptized 14/4/1811 & Joseph James died 25/6/1815. (6) Samuel Thomas .
2. William Jonathan TIPPINS [Parents]. Born 4/11/1807 in Hoxton & baptized 29/11/1807 at Saint Leonards, Shoreditch. William Jonathan died 26/11/1888 & was buried 1/12/1888 in Abney Park cemetery, Stoke Newington. Occupation: Pianoforte maker.
An entry in the National Probate Calendar reads: “The will of William Jonathan Tippins late of 9 Middleton Road Kingsland Road in the County of Middlesex who died 26 November 1888 at 9 Middleton Road was proved at the Principal Registry by Elizabeth Tippins [his second wife] of 567 Wandsworth Road in the County of Surrey Widow the Relect and George Powell Collins of 205 City Road St Luke's in the County of Middlesex Merchant's Clerk the Executors. Personal estate £46 1s 8d.” (The equivalent of around £5,474 today.)
On 2/3/1829, when William Jonathan was age 21, he married Martha HODGE, daughter of Thomas PERCY & Mary HODGE in St Sepulchre Church, Holborn. Born about 1810 in Finsbury, Martha died quarter ending December 1856 and was buried 26/11/1856 in Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington.
They had the following children, all baptized Saint Leonards, Shoreditch unless stated otherwise:
(1) Robert Percy Hodge . (2) William Jonathan, born 19/9/1831 & 17/10/1831. (3) Henry Richard, born 29/6/1833 in Shoreditch & baptized 21/7/1833. Henry died January 1835 age about 18 months & was buried 18/1/1835 at St Mary, Islington. (4) Martha, born 16/1/1835 in Shoreditch & baptized 8/3/1835. On 16/3/1858, when Martha was age 23, she married Edward ORCHARD at St Matthew, Bethnal Green. (5) Elizabeth, born 18/2/1837 & baptized 19/3/1837. Elizabeth died around March 1844 & was buried 4/4/1844 at West Hackney Church. (6) Mary Ann, baptized 21/10/1838 in St Paul's, Canonbury, Islington. On 25/3/1860, when Mary Ann was age 21, she married Charles Peter JAMES at St Thomas, Bethnal Green. (7) Susannah, baptized 30/8/1840 at St John, Hackney. On 20/10/1861, when Susannah was age about 20, she married Robert James RIDDLE at St Leonards, Shoreditch. Robert was born about 1840 in Halstead, Essex and died in 1891, age 50. They had no children. On 11/10/1894, when Susannah was age about 54, she married William GILES at St Leonards, Shoreditch. William was born about 1831 in Exeter. (8) Albert . (9) Henry . (10) Charlotte, born quarter ending June 1844 in Hackney & baptized 2/6/1844 at West Hackney Church. (11) Catherine, born 7/2/1846 at 2 Upsdells Row, Hackney and baptized 1/3/1846 at West Hackney Church. On 1/4/1867, when Catherine was age 21, she married William Henry CHAPPLE, son of William CHAPPLE and Catherine WOODWARD, at the Parish Church, Haggerston. Catherine died 12/9/1911, age 65, & was buried 18/9/1911 in Abney Park cemetery, Stoke Newington. (12) Thomas . (13) Frederick, born about June 1849 in Hackney & baptized 24/6/1849 at West Hackney Church. (14) George, baptized 29/12/1850 at West Hackney Church. George died August 1851, age 8 months & was buried 31/8/1851 at West Hackney Church. (15) Georgina, baptized 29/8/1852 at West Hackney Church.
On 22/4/1871, when William Jonathan was age about 63, he married Elizabeth SHARMAN nee CORDELL (widow of William SHARMAN), daughter of John & Susannah CORDELL, at St Sepulchre Church, Holborn. This is some 9 years after the birth of the last of their three children. Elizabeth was born 1/1/1825 & baptized 15/5/1825 at St Leonards, Shoreditch.
They had the following children:
(1) John, born about 1858 in Hackney. (2) Rosa, born quarter ending March 1861 in Hackney & died December 1877, age 16. She was buried 20/12/1877 in Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington. (3) Jemima, born about 1862 in Hackney.
Thinking of discovering more about your family’s past? We can help. Visit our sister site Wharfedale Research for a range of family history research services and to find out about a free initial consultation.
|Legal stuff and Cookies|