© S M Jones 2017. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
3. William COCHRANE [Parents]. Born about 1818 in St Lukes, Middlesex. This location was given as William’s birthplace in the 1851 census & is probably a reference to St Luke’s Parish, Old Street, Finsbury where his sister Louisa was baptized. William died 19/3/1860 at 36 Isabella Street, Lambeth, age about 42. Cause of death certified as Apoplexy 12 hours (a cerebral haemorrhage or stroke). Occupation: Furniture Broker.
On 5/3/1843, when William was age about 24, he married Caroline Amelia PETRIE, daughter of Thomas PETRIE & Rebecca PIPER, at St Mary Parish Church, Haggerston, Shoreditch. Caroline was born 21/5/1820 in Shoreditch & baptized 6/8/1820 at St Leonards, Shoreditch. Caroline died 24/1/1873 in Lambeth, age 52. Cause of death certified as Bronchitis 14 days.
They had the following children:
(1) Caroline Jane, born 25/4/1844 at 11 Oldham Gardens, Clerkenwell and baptized 18/8/1844 at St John the Baptist, Shoreditch. Caroline Jane died 22/12/1928 in Southwark, age 84. Cause of death certified as Chronic Bronchitis; Myocardial degeneration. On 19/6/1864, when Caroline Jane was age 20, she married Thomas LESTER (1840-?), son of Thomas LESTER, a Farmer, at St Paul’s Church, Southwark. (2) Eliza, born 22/3/1846 at 11 Oldham Gardens, Clerkenwell. Eliza died 24/8/1852 at 32 Mitre Street, Lambeth, age 6. Cause of death certified as Fever 5 weeks. (3) William .
(4) Emily, born 29/1/1853 at 32 Mitre Sreet, Lambeth and died 8/7/1874 at Breydon Water, Great Yarmouth, age 21. Cause of death established by inquest on 10/7/1874: Accidentally drowned (click Note icon for more information). On 14/1/1873, when Emily was age 19, she married Edmund BALLARD, son of William BALLARD (deceased), at St Mary, Lambeth. (5) Alfred John .
On 28/81864, when Caroline was age 44, she married a widower George WILLIAMS (1811-?), son of David WILLIAMS, a carpenter, in St Paul, Southwark. No children of this marriage have been traced.
4. James COCHRANE [Parents]. Born about 1822 in Shoreditch, Middlesex, James died 22/9/1887 at the Union Workhouse, Leytonstone, age about 65. Cause of death: Bronchitis.
On 14/4/1845, when James was age about 23, he married Arabella NICKELS, daughter of John NICKELS, a chair maker, at St Mary, Islington. Born about 1824 in Colchester, Arabella died 28/1/1908 at 4 Bird's Hill, Willian, Hertfordshire, age 83. Cause of death certified as Heart Failure; Bronchitis; Renal Asthma.
Arabella had the following child. The father is not named on the birth certificate:
(1) Charles NICKELS, born 24/9/1844 in Shoreditch Workhouse & baptized 1/3/1854 at St John the Baptist, Hoxton as James COCHRANE. This is name used in the 1851 census and thereafter. James died 16/11/1858 at 17 Ivy Lane, Hoxton Old Town, age 14. Cause of death was established by inquest on 18/11/1856 when the coroner for Middlesex, William Baker recorded “Died from effusion of blood on the brain caused by a blow from a fall on being knocked down but how or by whom there was no satisfactory evidence to shew”.
James and Arabella had the following children (all baptisms at Holy Trinity Church, Hoxton, unless stated otherwise):
(1) Arabella, born 1/10/1846 at 47 Gee Street, St Luke, Middlesex & baptized 1/3/1854. Arabella died 25/4/1930 in Stratford, age 83, Cause of death certified as Chronic Bronchitis. On 3/4/1870, when Arabella was age 23, she married John Henry Rowland HILLS (1845-1897), son of John Brown HILLS, a Miller, at St Thomas, Bethnal Green. (2) Alice, born 28/5/1849 at 15 Turner Square, Hoxton Old Town & baptized 1/3/1854. Alice died 27/9/1874 in Hoxton, age 25. Cause of death certified as Phthisis (TB); Diarrhoea. On 25/12/1868, when Alice was age 19, she married George PORTER (1846-?), son of James PORTER, a Malster, at St Thomas, Bethnal Green. (3) Ellen, born 16/11/1851 in Hoxton Old Town & baptized 1/3/1854. Ellen died 26/12/1932 at Haymeads, Bishop’s Stortford, age 81. Cause of death certified as Shock & Hypostatic Pneumonia; Gall-bladder colic. On 30/7/1876, when Ellen was age 22, she married widower George PORTER (1846-?), son of James PORTER, a Malster, at St Thomas, Bethnal Green. (4) Lavinia, born 17/1/1854 in Hoxton Old Town & baptized 8/2/1854 at St John the Baptist, Hoxton. She never married. Lavinia died 2/9/1906 in the Hackney Union Infirmary, Homerton, age 52. Cause of death certified as Bronchitis. (5) Frank . (6) Alfred Charles .
Thinking of discovering more about your family tree? Visit our linked site FindMyAncestor.net for a range of family history research services and to find out about a FREE initial assessment.
|Legal stuff and Cookies|