© S M Jones 2016. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
Fourth Generation (continued)
11. George Thomas MONK [Parents]. Born quarter ending March 1859 in Portsmouth, George died quarter ending December 1932 in Portsmouth, age 73. Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Mess Servant (1881); Messenger in Dynamo Works (1891); Gatekeeper (1901); Messenger (1911).
In quarter ending March 1882, when George was age 23, he married Emily JERMYN in Lambeth. Emily was born about 1860 in Charlton. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children, all born in Greenwich:
(1) Emily Edith, born quarter ending June 1882. Emily had a daughter Edith Emily MONK, who was born quarter ending December 1899, also in Greenwich. (2) Hannah Sophia, born quarter ending June 1884. (3) Alice Maud, born quarter ending June 1891.
12. Matthew MONK [Parents]. Born about 1862 in Westminster, Matthew drowned in the River Thames 21/4/1921, age about 58. An entry in the National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations) reads: “MONK Matthew of 22 Crescent Lane Clapham Surrey found drowned 21 April 1921 in the river Thames near Vauxhall Bridge Probate London 12 May to Mary Jane Monk widow. Effects £178 5s.” (The equivalent of around £7,173 today.) Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Clerk to Cement Merchant (1881); Manager of Lime & Cement Works (1891); Wharf Manager (1901); Book keeper (1911).
On 3/9/1887, when Matthew was age about 25, he married Mary Jane THOMAS, daughter of James THOMAS, a Boot & Shoe Maker, at St Mary’s Parish Church, Battersea. Mary Jane was born about 1863 in Westminster. It is not known when she died.
They had the following children:
(1) Grace Emily, born about 1889 in Battersea. (2) Lilian Mary, born quarter ending June 1892 in Leytonstone.
13. Alfred MONK [Parents]. Born 9/1/1862 in Lower Halling & baptized 23/2/1862, Alfred died quarter ending September 1946 in Maidstone, age 84. Occupation: Variously given in census returns as Railway brakeman (1881); Cement labourer (1891 & 1901); Barge loading labourer (1911).
In the quarter ending December 1882, when Alfred was age 20, he married Clara BEADLE, daughter of Charles BEADLE & Harriet PARRIS, in Malling. Clara was born about 1864 in Upper Halling & died there quarter ending March 1917, age about 53.
They had the following children, all born in Halling:
(1) Ethel Clara, born quarter ending September 1883 & died quarter ending December 1883. (2) Alice Maud, born quarter
ending December 1884. (3) Alfred James, born quarter ending September 1887 & died 1944, age about 55. Alfred married
Eleanor Annie DATLEN. (4) Clara Hester, born quarter ending December 1889. (5) Helen Agnes, quarter ending
September 1891. (6) Harry Arthur, born quarter ending March 1894 & died quarter ending June 1910, age 16. (7) Mabel Elaine, born quarter ending June 1896. (8) Albert Frank, born quarter ending December 1898. (9) Dora Ruth, born quarter ending December 1900. (10) Cora Grace, born quarter ending June 1902.
Click to view
Thinking of discovering more about your family tree? Visit our linked site FindMyAncestor.net for a range of family history research services and to find out about a FREE initial assessment.
|Legal stuff and Cookies|