© S M Jones 2013. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
This is page 2 of 3 tracing the history of the Cochrane family of Shoreditch, London & the link by marriage to the Chapple family. If you have a connection to any individual or family featured here, or if you want to leave us your feedback, contact us. Browse the Cochrane pages by clicking the forward/back arrows or following the numbered e.g.  or parental [Parents] links.
The Cochrane Family of Shoreditch, London
Third Generation (continued)
6. Henry COCHRANE [Parents]. Born 25/1/1850 in Shoreditch & baptized 17/2/1850 at
St John the Baptist, also in Shoreditch. It is not known when Henry died. Occupation:
On 6/2/1871, when Henry was age 21, he married Elizabeth CONSTABLE in Islington,
London. Elizabeth was born quarter ending September 1855 in Stepney. She had the
following child, whose father is not named on the birth certificate:
(1) William Edward, born 22/3/1870 in the Islington Workhouse, Holloway, London.
Following his mother’s marriage to Henry, William was known as William Edward Constable
Henry and Elizabeth had the following children:
(1) Henry Charles, born about 1873 in Holloway. (2) Eliza, born 1874 in Holloway.
(3) John . (4) Emily, born 1877 in Holloway.
(5) Frederick, born 1878 in Holloway. (6) Margaret, born 1880 in Islington. (7) Benjamin Robert, born 1882 in Holloway. (8) Grace, born 1883 in Islington. (9) Rose, born 1886 in Islington. (10) May, baptized 28/12/1887 at St Mary, Hornsey Rise. (11) Robert, born about 1890 in Islington. (12) George, born 1891 in Islington. (13) Thomas, born 1893 in Islington.
7. Benjamin COCHRANE [Parents]. Born 22/3/1858 in Shoreditch & baptized 2/6/1858
at St John the Baptist Church, Shoreditch. Benjamin died quarter ending June 1930
in Stoke Newington, age 72. Occupation: Paperhanger.
In the quarter ending June 1880, when Benjamin was age 22, he married Mary Ann EVANS
in Bethnal Green, London. Mary Ann was born about 1859 in Shoreditch & died sometime
before the 1901 census.
They had the following children (all baptisms at St Matthias, Stoke Newington (unless stated otherwise):
(1) Elizabeth Mary Ann, born quarter ending December 1880 & baptized 4/11/1881. (2) Clara, born quarter ending March 1883 & baptized 15/5/1885. Clara died 23/4/1961 in Islington, age about 78. She never married. (3) Emily, born quarter ending December 1884 & baptized 15/5/1885. (4) Rosaline Edith, born quarter ending December 1886 and baptized 10/4/1889. (5) Kate, born about April 1889 & baptized 10/4/1885. (6) Alice, born 13/11/1890 & baptized 7/4/1893. On 26/12/1914, when Alice was age 24, she married Thomas Alfred BIGGS in Islington. (7) Alfred, born quarter ending March 1893 & baptized 7/4/1893. (8) Harry, born quarter ending December 1894 & baptized 12/12/1894. (9) Benjamin, born about July 1897 & baptized 15/8/1897. (10) Edward, born 1/11/1899 in Islington & baptized 21/5/1900 at St Jude, Mildmay Park. (11) May Dorothy Blanch, born September 1903 & baptized 16/2/1905 at St Jude, Mildmay Park.
8. John COCHRANE [Parents]. Born about 1863 in Shoreditch. It is not known when John
died. Occupation: Decorator & paper hanger.
On 26/3/1882, when John was age about 20, he married Annie Elizabeth HUGGINS, in St Peter’s Church, Bethnal Green. The forename “Henry” is recorded on the marriage certificate. Why John used this name is not known.
They had the following children:
On 1/8/1908, when John was age 44, he married Caroline Elizabeth GRAVES, daughter of William Davey GRAVES (deceased), a Brushmaker, at St Matthias Church, Stoke Newington. Caroline Elizabeth was born about 1870 in London. It’s not known when she died. There’s no evidence they had any children.
9. John COCHRANE [Parents]. Born quarter ending September 1875 in Holloway, London.
It is not known when John died. Occupation: General Labourer.
In the quarter ending June 1895, when John was age 19, he married Laura Austin HICKS
in Islington. Laura was born quarter ending December 1876 in Virginia Water, Surrey.
They had the following children, all born Islington:
(1) Laurie Maud Alberta, born quarter ending March 1898 & baptized 20/3/1900 at Emmanuel, Holloway. In 1928, when Laurie was age 30, she married Arthur N. BALL in Edmonton. (2) Ivy Victoria Elizabeth, born about March 1900 & baptized 20/3/1900 at Emmanuel, Holloway. In 1921, when Ivy was age about 21, she married Alfred Frederick NORTH in Edmonton. (3) Charles Frederick George John, born 2/12/1901 & baptized 17/12/1901 at Emmanuel, Holloway. Charles Frederick died October 1990 in Waveney, Suffolk, age 88.