© S M Jones 2016. The information on this site is free for most uses. See the legal stuff for more information
69. Garth CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born quarter ending December 1854 in St Thomas, Devon, Garth died 17/2/1926 in Southsea, age 71. Occupation: School master.
An entry in the England & Wales National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations) 1858-1966 reads: “CHAPPLE Garth of 86 Manners Road Southsea Hampshire died 17 February 1926 at 2 Merton Road Southsea Probate Winchester 15 April to Emma Green (wife of Philip Green). Effects £432 15s. 3d.” (The equivalent of about £23,728 today.)
In the quarter ending December 1877, when Garth was age about 33, he married Emily Elizabeth Serjeant CROSS in Portsea, Hampshire. Born quarter ending March 1859 in Weymouth, Dorset, Emily died 21/11/1922 in Ottery St Mary, age 63.
An entry in the England & Wales National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations) 1858-1966 reads: “CHAPPLE Emily Elizabeth Serjeant of 18 Paternoster Row Ottery St Mary Devonshire (wife of Garth Chapple) died 21 November 1922 Probate Exeter 27 December to the said Garth Chapple retired schoolmaster. Effects £351 4s 9d.” (The equivalent of about £15,479 today.)
The 1911 census, taken when Garth & Emily were age 56 & 52 respectively, confirms they had no children.
70. Robert CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born in 1819 in Axminster, Robert died quarter ending June 1861 in Leeds, age about 42.
In the quarter ending June 1851, when Robert was age about 32, he married Elizabeth TOMPSON in Exeter. Born 19/4/1821 in Exeter, Elizabeth died 12/3/1893 in Leeds, age 71.
They had the following children:
(1) Mary Jane, born quarter ending June 1851 in Exeter. (2) Robert John . (3) Anna Bessie, born 9/8/1856 in Exeter. It is not known when she died. On 1/8/1887, when Anna Bessie was age 30, she married William Henry BROWN, son of James BROWN (deceased) at All Saints Parish Church, Leeds. William was born about 1862 in Manchester. It is not known when he died.
Eleventh Generation (continued)
71. Henry John CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born 1860 in Axminster, Henry John died 1917 in Axminster, age 57. Occupation: Farmer.
In 1886 when Henry John was 26, he married Lydia Joanna CRIDGE, in Membury. Born 1860 in Taunton, Lydia died 1940, age 80.
They had the following children, all born in Devon:
(1) Elsie Alberta, born 11/5/1887. In 1908, when Elsie was age about 20, she married Henry George AYRES. (2) Ida Mary, born 5/2/1889. In 1911, when Ida was age about 21, she married William Charles JENKINS. (3) Mabel May, born 28/5/1890. In 1917, when Mabel was age about 26, she married Ernest W. MILLER. (4) Lillian Beatrice, born 24/10/1891. In 1923, when Lillian was age about 32, she married Edwin Elias WHITE.
(5) Flossie Mellitta, born 1893 & died 1894, age 1. (6) Minnie Augusta, born 1895. In 1920, when Minnie was age about 25, she married Henry BAGWELL & died later that year in Beaminster, Dorset. (7) Andrew George Cridge, born 1897. (8) Cecil Harry Cridge . (9) Freda Lydia, born 1902. In 1923, when Freda was age about 21, she married her late sister Minnie’s husband Henry BAGWELL in Axminster.
72. Thomas George CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born 1864 in Membury, Thomas George died there 5/3/1941, age 77. Occupation: Stonemason.
In 1898, when Thomas George was 34, he married Laura Maria MOSS, in Axminster. Born 1870, Laura Maria died 12/4/1952 in Membury, age 82.
They had the following children, all born Membury:
(1) Frances Louisa Laura, born 1900. Frances Louisa Laura died 1915, age 14. (2) Jessie Annie, born 1904 and died 30/4/1955, age 51.
(3) Albert George, born 1908. Albert George died 20/10/1944 near Geel, Belgium, age 36. He was buried in Geel War Cemetery, Antwerpen, Belgium. (4) Eva Laura Nicola, born 6/12/1911.
73. Robert William CHAPPLE [Parents]. Born 1869 in Membury. It is not known when Robert died. Occupation: Butcher.
In the quarter ending June 1893, when Robert William was age about 24, he married Mary DARKE in Axminster. Mary was born 1865 & died 1900 in Axminster, age 35.
They had the following children, both born Membury:
(1) William, born & died 1895. (2) Harry Darke, born 1896. Harry was killed in action 27/3/1918, age 22, near the village of Pozieres, France during the final Battle of the Somme. He is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial.
In quarter ending June 1903, when Robert William was age about 33, he married Susan Maude ATTWOOLL, in Membury. Susan was born quarter ending June 1871 in Weymouth.
They had the following children:
(1) Irene Maude, born about 1905. (2) George, born about 1912.
|Legal stuff and Cookies|